Monday 31 March 2008

Google Adwords | Please Update Your Billing Information

Here's one that got through the net first time I recieved it. I believed it, deleted the email (permanently) then went onto the Google site to follow it's instructions. Only then did I realise that the email address it had been sent to wasn't associated with a Google adwords account that I maintain...

At first I thought I was mistaken until I received the email about. Assuming I was wrong and maybe I had used that email address for a Google Adsense account in the past I was about to try to login again, until I noticed that the target URL was http://adwrods.google.select.asolf3.cn/select/index.html

asolf3.cn makes several appearances in Google Phishing search results. But it got past me the first time, and nearly this time, because I was using a shortcut on my desktop to sign on, rather than the link in the email.

Here's the content - it's dangerous! I can't find an address to report this to Google, so I've sent them a contact form and awaiting a response.

This message was sent from a notification-only email address that does
not accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear GoogleAdwords Customer,

In order to update your billing information, please sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com, and update your billing information. Your account will be reactivated as soon as you have entered your payment details. Your ads will show immediately if you decide to pay for clicks via credit or debit card. If you decide to pay by direct debit, we may need to receive your signed debit authorization before your ads start running, depending on your location. If you choose bank transfer, your ads will show as soon as we receive your first payment. (Payment options vary by location.)

Thank you for choosing AdWords. We look forward to providing you with the most effective advertising available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Google AdWords Team

No comments: