Thursday 10 April 2008

Credit Card Danger

This one isn't phishing, but it's security so I'd thought in a quiet moment I'd recount the tale.

Last Friday my family and I went out for a meal. We hadn't intended to be going anywhere that we'd need any money (just taking my daughter for a swimming lesson) so I didn't have my wallet. So at the end of the meal my wife paid and put the cost onto my credit card.

Now I'm always telling her to hide her pin number when she types it in - yet once more it was in full view of the waiter. After she handed the machine back, he then quickly walked off saying 'I'll just print you a receipt'. My suspicions were aroused as he was holding a Chip & Pin terminal with a built in printer.

I tried to call him back, but he 'didn't hear' and was quickly back at the till with me watching the card from the table. Most of the time the machine was in full view, but at one point he removed the card and held it out of sight briefly.

Now this could have been an innocent move, but my daughter is well trained and said she'd watched him watch my wife typing in her PIN and that he smiled when she'd finished.

This was all so suspicious, but with no proof of any wrong doing what can you do? Well I drove her straight to the nearest cash machine and she changed her PIN immediately.

I'm hoping that's the end of the tale - no mysterious transactions yet, but I've asked her to look when she next uses the card to see if any attempts have been made with an incorrect PIN.

No comments: